now more sensibly: 8.0.4
The 8.0.4 release is out! It focuses on usability and bugfixes with relatively few new features. Here's how to get it:
- If your unit has a 7.x controller still (or earlier), send rhet0rica an IM or e-mail.
- If your unit is running an 8.0 controller, come visit our main campus to download the firmware update without requiring a re-install. This also applies to those running the 8.0.3 release. Note: if you purchased a controller from the new display stand and never updated it (i.e. not just a box on the table), there were permissions errors in the 8.0.2 copy being distributed. You were sent an 8.0.3 controller and should switch to it to begin updating.
Installation Instructions for Firmware Updates
1. Make sure you have manager access to the unit you wish to upgrade. If you do not, contact the unit's owner. Be advised that some units may be ownerless and function effectively as self-owned. (To set up users, access the manage -> users panel.)
2. Take the unit to a region where Xanadu server access is available. At present, this is only the Nanite Systems Main Campus.
3. Start the update from manage -> software -> install -> xcentral:0 -> System_8.0.4 -> install. Updates may take up to 5 minutes.
4. Reboot the unit if necessary to reinitialize the battery interface.
Notice: this is a clean install, and so any settings stored in RAM—user list, sound scheme, boot style, volume settings, power profiles, color options—will need to be re-installed afterwards. Files on disk (personas, actions, installed software packages) will not be affected. RAM data by installed software packages (e.g. instructor interval) will not be affected by this update.
What's new in System 8.0.4? - Fixed ACS interference vanishing on reboot, lack of guaranteed time-out. - Fixed @name not honoring OEM prefix (it was rebuilding the host name with the model marker instead; same issue on relog.) - New response format for remote control "ping" message: (serial) (version) (owner) (model) - Added "-" and "modify" for sxdwm menu files - Renamed 'configure' menu to 'subsystems' to make it seem less like a synonym of 'manage' - 'clear' on the PIN setting screen is now 'cancel' - Restored network submenu within the subsystems menu - RLV commands now combined on one line per subsystem; far quicker! - Removed 'commands' from the main screen because it's too obscure; still present in 'manage'. Decomposed the 'power' menu to keep the menu full. - Decomposed the radio metasystem into 'SMS in' and 'SMS out'. - Locked down remote access - Re-integrated some of elysia's menu change decisions (make main:status do power status) - Power switch had no range limit; now 10 m just like normal local access - Made menu timeout work (sxdwm didn't send 220 messages) - Reduced command spam slightly (MC doesn't report confirmation of owner/authority setting, for example.) - Text message silencing for charging, power toggle, and other things, controllable via the @verbosity command or the 'manage' menu - Fixed gamma staying dark after the controller is detached - The tty PIN dialog no longer vanishes after each key input as we've switched to a faux-audio prompt. This unfortunately means that tty users must click the controller again to get the new pad when setting their PINs. (Seems relatively minor; will address in 7.0.5) - No more getting stuck in manage menus after submission reset! - Can no longer follow self - Fix during testing: 'cancel' on power profiles was still expecting the 'subsystems' menu to be called 'configure'
For earlier patch notes, see our 8.0.3 release page.