This service release for Companion 8.4 addresses a HUD issue and adds support for the new uRTG battery that will be released later today. Other bugfixes and improvements are still scheduled for Companion 8.5 and are not included in this patch.
Full documentation for 8.4 is available at support.nanite-systems.com.
Battery recall: If your batteries were purchased before February 11, 2017, they need to be replaced to be used with Companion 8.4.2 or 8.4.3. To get replacement batteries, send your current power cells to Takura Thielt (any time), Kuro Umino (any time) or rhet0rica (weekends only). See the batteries page for more information.
installation instructions for Companion 8.4.3
- Check your current software version by selecting 'about' from the main menu. If it's 8.0.0 or later, you're good to go. If it's older, or you can't even find the 'about' item, contact technical support directly for further assistance. You can also use the command @about to get the same information.
- Come to a region with Xanadu support.
- Getting ready. Type the following to back up your current list of users: @keychain save
This is optional if you do not wish to preserve your current users.
- Installation. Go to the following menu: manage > software. If you are running 8.2.1 or earlier, select install. If you are running 8.3.0 or later, select connect.
- Select the sim's primary update server. If you are in Eisa, this is xcentral:0. If you are in one of the other supported updating sims, see the list here.
- If you are running a version of 8.4 already, select update. (Otherwise, select install.)
- Select the Companion_8.4.3 package and upgrade or install it.
- If you do not see the update package, see alternative instructions for updating via the command line.
- Accept the notecard _System_8.4.2_info when it is offered. If you are running an Aegis that was previously running 8.2.0, there are additional instructions inside that are very important.
- Installation will take up to 2 minutes. You will receive a message saying Done. Installed 56 files total. when the process is finished.
- Turn the controller back on.
- If you do not currently have a HUD at the bottom of your screen, type @setup console. If you already use the HUD, you should have been offered an updated one during the install process.
- Finalizing. Reboot once to apply the applicable changes from the last step.
- Important note for this version only: A battery recall was issued on February 11, 2017. Older power cells will not work with the new release. See above for instructions on replacing your battery.
changes in 8.4.3
- Support for shielded uRTG batteries
- Removed spurious debug messages in the SCM damage effect code
changes in 8.4.2
- Resolved inconsistent format in QUERY_SUBSYSTEM and response messages, creating difficulty for app creators who needed to check subsystem states.
- Battery swap-outs were still causing explosive overheating in ATOS/E. This should be resolved now. An update to ATOS/E is not required.
- Fixed devices menu reporting devices as not found or not installed.
- Added version checking for batteries. Please also ensure that you get an updated battery.
- Fixed a bug where '@color company' would cause the unit's lights to go black.
- Restored the hinge script in the XSU.